Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My plans aren't always God's plans

A big thing that I have learned this year is that my plan's do not always align with what God has planned for me.  This can be a challenging reality in some cases with the biggest example being that I was never able to bring Madelyn home from the hospital.  No mother expects that to happen, but for some reason, God has chosen some to walk down that path.  I have trusted that God has a bigger plan and am sure that I will be with Madelyn again once my time is over here on earth.



I have been thinking a lot lately about discernment.  My CRHP group is at that point in our planning process.  Never before have I actually prayed and really asked God to fill my heart with the knowledge of what I should be doing.  I always just thought that whatever I decided was what was supposed to happen.  However, that has led me to never go beyond my comfort zone.  I have prayed and realized that maybe I need to do more and step outside of my bubble.

By praying and being open to the Holy Spirit guiding you along your path really takes some of the stress out of life.  I used to spend a lot of time stressing about being in control, but when I surrender that control I am usually overcome with a sense of peace.  All of these years, I have been blocking God's way by only listening to my own.

I have found some prayers of discernment while perusing the Internet this morning.  Hopefully the can help you as well...


Prayer for Discernment (Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus)
God our Father,
You have a plan for each one of us,
You hold out to us a future full of hope.
Give us the wisdom of Your Spirit
So that we can see the shape of Your plan
In the gifts You have given us,
And in the circumstances of our daily lives.
Give us the freedom of Your Spirit,
To seek You with all our hearts,
And to choose Your will above all else.
We make this prayer through Chris Our Lord.  Amen.
Prayer of St. Therese of Lisieux
May today there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received,
and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing you are a child of God.
Let this presence settle in your bones,
and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of us.
Prayer for Discernment
Lord I know that You love me and that You have great plans for me.  But sometimes I am overwhelmed by the thought of my future.  Show me how to walk forward one day at a time.  As I explore the various options which lie before me, help me to listen openly to others, and to pay attention to what is in the depth of my own heart.  In this way, may I hear Your call to a way of life which will allow me to love as only I can, and allow me to serve others with the special gifts You have given me.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I love the prayers & if you still have all your stuff from CRHP, the picture I taped to the top of your letter has another prayer of discernment on the back from pray.nd.edu. http://pray.nd.edu/assets/21668/dome.pdf
    Please know that no matter what role you discern for the next CRHP weekend, it is meant to be and you will touch the lives of all the women on your team, as well as group 70. Love you!

    ReplyDelete