Saturday, March 5, 2011

Keeping Madelyn's Memory Alive

When Madelyn passed away, I decided I needed to do things in her honor.  We set up a memorial fund at our parish.  We will meet with someone at the church to see what the needs of the parish are before we decide what to do with that money.

A lot of generous friends and family also sent us money to use for whatever we needed.  Although it would be great to use that for medical bills, funeral costs, or a new roof, we will be putting all of that money into her fund as well.  We will also be purchasing a gift for the NICU at St. Vincent Carmel.  In just 5 days, the nurses and doctors became family to us and we want to thank them with something that will be of use in the NICU.  I am really excited about our idea! :)



Anyone that knows me is fully aware that I enjoy working out, but I absolutely hate running.  I hate it because it makes me feel miserable and I simply do not have that "runner's gene".  Jim can not work out for 2 months and then can decide to run 5 miles without a problem.  Even though running and I have never been friends, I would be so happy if I could be a better runner.  I have participated in 2 mini-marathons.  I jogged part of those, but mainly walked.  So, what I have decided to do is start off by running a 5K in Madelyn's honor.  When I told my mom about this, she asked me why I was punishing myself by training for a 5K.  Although it may seem like a punishment at times, I'm hoping that I can be dedicated enough to reach my goal.  I am doing this for Madelyn, not myself.  I would much rather walk, lift weights, etc.  I want to show how much I care about her, by doing something that is not enjoyable to me.  I guess you could call it a sacrifice of sorts.  I have my doubts that I will be able to do it, but I also didn't think I would be able to be strong enough to deal with losing a child.

I'm still looking for a 5K to sign up for.  I was hoping that I could find something that benefits babies or children in some way, but didn't have much luck in finding one.  I may end up doing the Outrun the Sun run on June 4th at Fort Harrison State Park.  Entry fees benefit Melanoma research and education.  They have a 5K and a 5 mile option.  I may really push myself and go for the 5 mile race. :)

Madelyn will never be forgotten.  She probably has as many pictures (or more) than Lilly around our house.  I wear a bracelet that my parents bought for me while Madelyn was still alive.  Whenever I look at it, I think of her.  My co-workers also gave me a beautiful, angel necklace that I also wear.

My ultimate hope is that anyone who hears her story can learn or grow from it.  Our family has definitely changed for the better.  I can easily list many positive things that I have learned despite the horrible circumstances.  My hope is that others can learn and grow from this as well.

3 comments:

  1. Liz, thank you for sharing your blog. I think of you and Madelyn often and pray for your strength. Your reflections are beautiful and they are helpful tools for all.

    Sincerely,
    Brooke Braun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,
    I cannot stop reading your blog. I started at the beginning and don't want to stop until I am current. Thank you so much for sharing this. You and Jim are amazing. I pray for your families often.
    As for the run, did you know there was one in Indy for the Ronald McDonald house on 6/18. Maybe that will feel like it is more for children.
    God bless you guys,

    Renee Lechko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for letting me know about the Ronald McDonald 5K. I think I will be doing that one! :)

    ReplyDelete