Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lilly goes to the Dentist

Yesterday while I was on the phone, Lilly came up to me saying "my tooth, my tooth, my tooth".  I had her open her mouth and took what looked like a piece of a tooth out of her mouth.  I thought that she had chipped a tooth, so I called the pediatric dentist's office -- the same place that I went to when I was little (except in a new office :)).  After I made the appointment, I read on their website to put a tooth in milk or water to preserve it before you see the dentist.  I put the piece in a Ziploc with water and when I went to look at it an hour later, it had dissolved.  Oops - it must not have been a tooth!



We went to the dentist anyway -- she was ready for a check up.  I did my best to convince Lilly how fun going to the dentist was.  We practiced showing the dentist how pretty her teeth were.

She did such a good job today!  Aside from when we left the office, there were no tears.  She had her teeth cleaned and a fluoride treatment.  We need to begin the process of trying to stop the thumb-sucking.

The dental hygienist asked me if I was planning on having more children.  I shared with her how we had lost Madelyn a few weeks ago.  At the end of the appointment, the dentist shared with me how she had lost her 2nd daughter, the same way we had lost Madelyn.  I am shocked by how many people have gone through a similar situation.  It isn't talked about unless someone has experienced the same thing.

Here's a video of Lilly getting her teeth cleaned!

1 comment:

  1. What a brave girl! She did SO much better than her cousins on their 1st visits. I bet it was fun to see Dr. Crose.

    Yes, it's incredible how many personal stories I keep hearing from people on their losses too. I think people who have gone through something similar to you want to share their story b/c it allows them to freely talk about a painful time in their life and especially because they get to acknowledge the child that many people may not even know existed.

    ReplyDelete